Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Homemade Tapioca Pudding

Since making the change to real food one thing I noticed was there is no, at this point, pre-made pudding. I have seen some boxed ones you make your self which were just chocolate and vanilla, but that is it. One thing I did find however is Bob's Red Mill small pearl Tapicoa  it is a 1 lb bag for $5.45. I check out all the company web sites before purchasing and love that they use traditional techniques for creating their products. The link above will bring to Get to Know the Real Bob great story about how the company got started.

I love the fact that they included a recipe right on the bag and I didn't have to spend time searching for one. The thing I love even more is that it is a great recipe, I have made two batches so far and I would say I could make 7-8 more from just this one bag, I think that is a pretty good deal.

Ingredients

1/3 cup of Bob's Red Mill Tapicoa
3/4 cups of water
2 1/4 raw milk
1/4 tsp sea salt, make sure it is pink to get all those trace minerals
2 cage free eggs separated, the ones from a local farm are better
1/2 of organic Turbinado raw cane sugar
1/2 tsp organic vanilla I use Nielsen-Massey

In a 1 1/2 quart sauce pan soak the pearls in the water for 30 minutes. The bag does not say to turn the heat on so I left it off. Add milk, salt, and lightly beaten yolks stir over medium heat until boiling. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 10-15 minutes. If you have an electric stove like I do I suggest switching it to another burner during this process. Beat egg whites with sugar until soft peaks start to form. Take 3/4 cups of hot tapioca mixture and fold it into the egg whites and sugar then gently  fold back into the rest of the  tapioca mixture. Stir over low heat for about 3 minutes let cool for 15 minutes than eat up or place into the fridge to chill.

Makes 3 1/2 cups

There is also some information for making a fruit or chocolate tapioca as well.

While it is time consuming would make some rainy day fun for older kids. It is a fact that when children are involved with making or growing food they are more likely to eat it. Now this how you do real food pudding style.



4 comments:

  1. Now that you mention it, I haven't made any pudding in a long time and we love it! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    Thank you for hopping on board The Great Blog Train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks yummy! Have you tried the fruit or chocolate versions too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't I really love tapioca the way it is, but at the same time I do like to play with my food.

      Delete
  3. We haven't had pudding in a long time either. But I always gravitate to chocolate. Thanks for sharing!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    The HomeAcre Hop

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete