Thursday, February 11, 2016

Health Benefits of Radish Sprouts

I am not a big fan of radishes, but I am open to eating them as sprouts. Besides eating sprouts gives our bodies more nutrients than if we ate the food they would produce. The radish sprout has a spicy taste much like the vegetable it self.

Photo credit


Antioxidants
The radish belongs to the brassica family and is known for containing antioxidants. Antioxidants are excelllent for aiding in the prevention of oxidation from free radicals in the body and cells.

Folate/Folic Acid
Folate and folic acid what's the difference? Folate is found naturally in a variety of foods while folic acid is the synthetic version.

About Folate
B9 is also referred to as folate and provides an array of health benefits.

  • Healthy fetal formation
  • Good for the heart
  • Decrease risk of stroke
  • Aids in reducing mental and emotional issues
  • Beneficial for healthy DNA
  • Builds and repairs skin cells
  • Aids in building and maintaining muscle tissue
  • Is important for bringing oxygen to the cells in the body
Vitamin C, Zinc, B Vitamins and Phosphorus
Radish sprouts contain vitamin C some B along with zinc and phosphorus. These properties are important for good skin health and aid moisture to the skin. This is important to avoid wrinkles which stem from a lack of water in the body. It is important to moisturize the skin both from inside the body as well as outside.

Anthocyanins
Radishes are a great source for anthocyanins which are antioxidant flavonoids, give pigment to a variety of fruits and vegetables, and are anti-inflammatory. They are beneficial for our health in many ways.

  • Prevent inflammation 
  • Promote collagen health which is important for firm, toned, healthy skin
  • Promote healthy blood vessels 
  • Healthy nervous system
  • Aids with diabetes 
  • Promotes good eye health
  • Heart health
  • Aids in fighting cancer
Potassium 
Radish sprouts are a great source for potassium which aids with the various issues.
  • High blood pressure
  • Stroke prevention
  • Kidney health
  • Anxiety and stress
  • Muscle strength 
  • Metabolism
  • Water balance
  • An important electrolyte which is important for our bodies energy 
  • Aids with muscle cramps
  • Supports the nervous system
  • Aids with the health of various organs such as the kidneys, liver, brain, heart, and more
  • Low blood sugar
  • Bone health
Other Benefits of Radish Sprouts
  • Detoxifier
  • Aids with weight loss
  • Relieves constipation and piles
  • Respiratory issues
  • Reduce fevers
  • Aids with PMS
  • Menopause symptoms
  • Hot flashes
  • Fibrocystic disease 
  • Prevents/reduces tumors
Photo credit


Sprouting Radish Sprouts

3 Tbsp of sprouting seeds
1 Wide mouth mason jar
1 Sprouting jar screen

Put the seeds in the jar and fill the jar with the filtered water so the seeds are covered and let sit for 12 hours. After 12 hours with the screen still on dump out the water, fill the jar again and swish the jar around making sure to get all the seeds in the water, drain, and place upside down on an angle to drain, do this at least 3 times a day. This will produce 3 cups of sprouts by the 5th or 6th day.

Once the sprouts are done pour them in a big bowl with filtered water. The hulls will float to the top, pull them out and discard them. Some people do eat them it's up to you.

Using the Sprouts
All sprouts can be used the same way,  but one thing to remember with this sprout is it does have a spicy taste. Add to anything you would like to add a little spice to a salad, soup, stews, or on sandwiches. This is one sprout you might not want to add to a smoothie or juice.



Do you eat radish sprouts? What is your favorite way to use these sprouts? How would you use these sprouts?

15 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    I knew radishes and radish sprouts were good for us but I didn't know that they had this many health benefits. Thanks for sharing. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla, my research showed that both have the same benefits, but the actual radish has more. For instance using the juice of the radish has various benefits along with aiding with the relief of itching from bug bites.

      Delete
  2. I love radishes and radish sprouts, so yes, I eat them! I purchased a mix of sprouting seeds so I get a little spicy radish with my alfalfa, mung and beet sprouts. So good! Thanks for sharing these tips and all the nutritional info. I'll pass along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Kathryn as the radish has some benefits that the sprouts do not, like acting as a diuretic.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I drink enough coffee and tea that I don't need any extra diuretic!

      Delete
  3. Great Post,Thank you for linking up with me at Monday of Many Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I've never been a huge radish fan.
    Thank you for bringing your post to the Bloggers Pit Stop Linky Party.
    Janice, Pit Stop Crew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Janice. I don't like radishes, but adding them to my other dishes in the form of sprouts lets me reap all the benefits.

      Delete
  5. I love bean and alfalfa sprouts never heard of radish sprouts...but I bet they are good!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce
    This is a really good post. I've never really liked radishes but I didn't realize their true nutritional benefits so I think I need to give them another try. I'm a healthy eater and I guess I never checked out the radish closely enough. Thanks for sharing your information with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Angel not a fan of radishes, but nice to know I can get all these benefits through sprouting.

      Delete
  7. What a nutritious food! I really need to start sprouting again! Thank you for sharing the health benefits of Radish Sprouts at the Plant-Based Potluck Party. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! I didn't know all the health benefits of this, and I love these in my salads! Thanks for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday last week! Hope you will join the link up again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This amazing post is one of the Highest CLIMBers on the March 2016 CLIMB blog hop - see here: http://www.godsgrowinggarden.com/2016/03/featuring-march-2016-highest-climbers.html
    Please link up your newest posts & you might just be featured again next month!
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete