Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Age is Just a Number


Photo credit
I joined this new group on g+, and was reading through the introductions as I took a break from writing my book. One individual mentioned that she will be turning fifty in a few months. Well, so will I in August, but I see that number as representing how long I have been on this earth.

Your age does not determine the youngster you have on the inside, nor your health. Just because I am turning fifty does not mean I am old, ah oh I said the "O" word, forgive me. My grandmother was in her eighties, still driving, busy, and I had to call and make an appointment to see her. I have a dear friend in Tennessee who is raising her fifteen year old nephew, and is in her late seventies. She drives the tractor around her property, grows a great garden, goes camping, hiking, and fishing.

I have decided that when I grow up I want to be like this two magnificent women. Strong, independent and living life to the fullest however, this is going to be somewhat difficult as I vowed never to grow up. I look at grown ups and see them as unhappy, unsmiling, much to serious human beings, and that is not how I want to live.

Photo credit
I want to be able to act silly when I want to, and I do. I want to sing at the top of my lungs as I dance around the house. I want to get down on the floor with my Sunday school class and pretend to be a lion, I want to play hopscotch, dance in the rain, and lay down in a field with the wild flowers, minus the ants please. Even when I get to the point I can no longer physical do these things, I'm doing them on the inside.

Age is a matter of the heart, what age do you feel? Me I don't rightly know, I am happy at this time in life. I know and continue to learn new things all the time, and love it. At this point I am even discovering new things about my self, and feel I have purpose.

I know that working out is a big issue when it comes to my health, and feeling good. I believe it is due to doing it for over twenty years that allows me to act like the child that lives in me. I am thankful that I have been taught by the Father how to use His medicine, and food to heal myself.

Until the day I cannot to things physically, it is my life, and I'm living it to the fullest.


4 comments:

  1. Whatever ones age it is good to feel positive and to live to the fullest extent possible. It is hard to answer what age one feels because our perception of what is implied by 30,40,50 etc are partly rooted in childhood where anything over 20 seemed old. On the one hand we value the wisdom we have hopefully acquired and for this reason I know practically nobody who truly wishes they were younger. On the other hand we want to retain our physical vitality for as long as possible. I admire all of those who live a lifestyle that will maximize and extend their physical capabilities as well as those who accept with equanimity that,although age is just a number, it will eventually become rather a large one. You seem to have a well balanced perspective on this, Joyce, so be aware that 50 Fahrenheit is only 10 Celsius and look forward to August accordingly !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share some of the same feelings about getting older but I am in my 60's .. Believe me my 50's were wonderful healthy years that I lifted weights, looked sexy and amazing and felt wonderful. now that I'm going toward the 70 and I'm getting a little scared .. enjoy! 50's are the new 30's. The 60's are the new 40's ! If we take car of ourselves we can continue to feel good at any age!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear, don't fear remember it's just a number.

      Delete
  3. Great post! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete