Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lemon Balm Tea With Lemon


A friend of mine grows lemon balm in her garden. One day while over at her house she offered me some lemon balm tea, I added some honey and right then fell in love with this lovely tea. Come fall she will give me some to plant in my garden, yeah!

Many herbs are dried and then used, lemon balm is best used straight from the garden. You can use a dried version, but the medicinal properties are not as strong.

Lemon balm is a perennial and considered to be in the mint family. Listed are some issues lemon balm can be helpful.

Note: Nursing or pregnant woman should not use lemon balm, it may also interact negatively with some medications, if you think lemon balm may not be right for consult a health care professional before using. 

  • Anxiety
  • Sleep disorders
  • Indigestion
  • Wounds
  • Cold sores
  • Herpes
  • Cognitive function
  • Menstrual cramps  
If using fresh herbs wash them and gently squeeze remaining water from the lemon balm. I love my stainless steel strainers, and have one that fits over the pot I use (1.6 qt) for brewing perfectly.


Alright I added raw cane sugar, Turbinado, to be precise. I was going to use honey for the challenge, but being a creature of habit I automatically added a cup of Turbinado. Then I added five sprigs of lemon balm, washed, to the strainer and let it sit until I saw steam coming from the pot. I took it off the burner and let the leaves simmer in the hot water for about 5-10 minutes.

Remove the leaves and strainer, and let the tea cool, I am using a quart mason jar, and if you pour it in when it is hot there is a chance of the jar breaking.

I added  half of a lemon sliced up with some ice, I was able to get two quarts from this and stored them in fridge to chill and drink later aahhhhhh, so refreshing. While it is called lemon balm it does not taste like lemons, but has a very light flavorful taste. Louisiana is hot and very humid and this aaahhhhh refreshing tea is perfect for these hot summer days.

The one jar sat in fridge for over 24 hours, the lemons were on top and it tasted very sour. I removed the most of the lemons leaving only two, put the lid back on and shook it up, yes that is better.

This post shared on Wildcrafting Wednesday.


8 comments:

  1. I made a cherry lemonade this week and had the same experience with the bitter lemons. It seems to be one of those things because I've made multiple batches of Mary's basil lemonade without problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried lemon balm tree and I'll give it a go now. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maureen it is very delicious. Some teas are heavy, but this one is so light perfect for summer, enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I so enjoying hearing of natural remedies. Thanks for sharing, Joyce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becca, thanks for stopping by. I also have heard that lemon balm is great to release the heat from fevers, so I figure it would release the heat due to summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love teas of all types. I had never heard of lemon balm before now. It looks like a perfect sweltering summer refresher! I will have to have a look about and see if I can get my hands on some. I'm dropping by today from Our Everyday Harvest's blog hop. I hope you can drop by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon balm is probably my favorite herb! I love using it in teas! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    Thank you for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, and it's awesome that you can grow it easily and make the tea at home. I'm starting to grow more herbs this year and I have two different types of mints now. I'll have to see if I can find some lemon balm. Thanks for sharing at the Homeacre Hop! We hope you join us next time!
    Mary
    www.homegrownonthehill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete