Thursday, March 28, 2013

Mung Beans

My online, blogging, seed supplier May from Back to the Basics, and Mary's Heirloom Seeds was awesome enough to include some Mung Beans for me to try for FREE, thanks Mary. She knew I was interested in trying them, so when I placed my last order she asked me if I wanted some to try, well heck yeah!!!

When ever I see the word mung, I think mug weird right? But anyway I was excited to receive my beans and screen to do my first sprout. I'm a hands on learner, and  had to watch a couple of videos to totally understand how to sprout. Mary does include sprouting instructions for each of the sprouting seeds she sells, but sorry Mary needed something more. As a matter of fact I waited for days maybe weeks for starting the sprouts because it seemed time consuming, and I fully did not understand just reading Mary's directions.

Two days into sprouting
Finally I watched a couple of videos and was off to sprout. It was soooooo easy, just soak the beans in filtered water for 12 hours, and rinse. I placed my jar on the side with a paper towel at the mouth of the jar in case any water dripped out. It stayed on the kitchen counter, out of the sun, where it would not be disturbed until my beans sprouted. I rinsed the beans twice a day, and by the first day they were already sprouting!!! By the third day I had sprouts!!! I was excited about this new food, and made my self a egg salad sandwich with Mung Bean sprouts on top, yum!

Once the sprouts were ready I poured them on to a plate lined with two paper towels for them to dry. I waited about a half hour, and put them pack into the jar, Mary said you can keep them in the fridge for up to six weeks, but better to eat them as soon as you can. 

It was suggested by one video I watched that you taste your sprouts daily to see how you feel about the taste. Mung Bean sprouts are crunchy, and said to have a nutty taste, personally I really did not taste a nutty flavor. 

Mung Beans sprouts are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and a great source of fiber. If you are trying to lose weight or have, or know someone with diabetes, this is a food to include in your regular diet. This is because Mung Beans have a glycemic level of 31 which means it has slow effect on blood sugar. Also the high fiber allows for a slower release of calories into the blood sugar.

Many Asians use sprouts in their dishes, they are also used in salads, for making bread, smoothies, and more. I also started a new board on Pintrest just for sprouts which includes only 11 pins right now, but will keep adding. What you will find there right now are some great recipes, and also how to grow your own mung beans to use for sprouts.

How do you use your sprouts? Have a favorite sprout?


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for Linking up to Friendship Friday at "Living and Learning with Our New Normal"
    We are interested in healthy eating also.
    thanks for this info!
    http://www.faithfulmomof9.com/dinner-from-start-to-finish/

    ReplyDelete