Thursday, July 12, 2012

Free Stuff 4 Your Health

Photo credit: Serious Seats
I want to make homemade yogurt, but every thing I see you need actual yogurt to get started. While I was searching around I found this site called "Cultures for Health." If you sign up for their newsletter you can get three free ebooks for making yogurt, kefir, and kombucha.

Okay sooooo I know what yogurt is, but what is kefir, and kombucha? After reading through the ebooks on the two, it turns out that kefir is similar to yogurt, but more probiotic. Kombucha is a combination of bacterias and yeasts which has been used to make an elixir for years. It is said to have many health benefits, others may say otherwise, which is always the case.

I also visited another site called "Body Ecology," where I was able to obtain a free audio book on probiotics. Further research of probiotics lead me to Dr. Mercola's site, which further explains about fermented foods like those mentioned above, and probiotics along with supplements.

I have learned that in order to make yogurt, kefir and kombucha, you need to have a cultural starter. A cultural starter is needed when first making the homemade fermented foods, once that is done you can use a portion of the finished product to make the next batch.



No comments:

Post a Comment