Saturday, May 24, 2014

How I Get My Veggies


I have never been big on raw vegetables, but they are so good for us. Upon learning the importance of eating raw vegetables I have found a great way to incorporate them into my daily  meals. This would also work for those picky eaters and they will never know.

To the left you can see my new best friend. When I started looking at making raw foods many called for a food processor which I didn't own. I believe in asking someone else what they are using, and my friend said she has a Cuisinart and has had it for years with no issues. So, off I went to find me one.

My issue was deciding how many cups I wanted and settled on the Cuisinart 9-Cup Brushed Stainless. We leave it on the counter for two reasons, one I use it almost every day, and two it looks so pretty.

What I do is take whatever raw vegetables we have, and we always have a nice selection. I throw all the raw vegetables I have including red and green peppers into the food processor using the S blade. Once this is done you can decide what to do with them, I have used them in scrambled eggs, omelets, soups, meatloaf, and quinoa. My favorite way to use them is in egg or chicken salad for sandwiches or wraps, or just make a dip with it.

I love the vegetable dips, I have incorporated both cream cheese and avocados along with the Vegenaise mayo. You can then add your favorite seasonings, I like garlic, with some garlic, paprika, smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper, all purpose seasoning, and chives. Than I add some chia seeds, bee pollen, nutritional yeast, and flax seeds, makes for a healthy, energy boosting dip or spread.

This is a great way to get those raw veggies, or hide them in other foods for those picky eaters. When adding them to soups, quinoa or other similar dishes add them after everything else has cooked for the full health benefits.

How do you get your veggies?



17 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce. I have never met a vegetable I didn't like so raw or cooked I certainly get my share and grow many varieties in order to have them as fresh as possible with no pesticides etc. Love fresh juice whether vegetable, fruit or a combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Paul, when I ate vegetables before they had to be well cooked. Doing this, as you know depletes them of their vitamins, and minerals. So, for me this is a great option, still need to get a juicer.

      Delete
  2. Love vegetable with the exception of turnips.I'm sure that turnips have redeeming qualities...but I'm not curious enough about them to explore that further. Love the idea of blending them all up and using them for multiple purposes! Cool ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacquie, all vegetables are beneficial my husbands does not like beets which are excellent for detoxing.

      Delete
  3. Yum! My husband is a huge fan of veggie anything. It's funny, we use our processor for fruit and never think of vegetables. I'll have to play around with it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about using it for fruit, lol, need to try that. Now you done it I'm craving pineapple.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce. Let's try this again. I had no idea that account was still in existence!
    I love vegetables! I'll eat them cooked but prefer them fresh. A nice stir fry is the perfect compromise. My husband is a different story. I'm always trying to find ways to get vegetables in him. Thank you for the cool ideas. He's about to start eating more vegetables than he knows! Shhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get my veggies by eating two fresh salads a day, made from Farmer's Market produce. I personally don't like vegetables blended in a juicer or blender. Something about the texture bugs me. I like the crunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that the juicer removes the enzymes, and we need to be chewing to engage our enzymes, thanks for stopping by Laurie.

      Delete
  7. Though I am a non-vegetarian, veggies are an integral part of my diet. I take them as salads or cook them with minimum oil possible. I also take a lot of boiled food (3-4 days a week). Raw or boiled form is the best option I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tuhin, actually raw or steamed is the best way to reap all the benefits of vegetables.

      Delete
  8. It seems moderation is important. I recently heard about a woman whose health was deteriorating and could't figure out why. Eventually, the doctor tumbled to her juicing activities and told her she was in nutrient overload! He suggested she go home and put all her normal juicing ingredients for a day in a bowl - that way she discovered just how much stuff she was putting into her body. Apparently it will take a couple of months for her body to rid itself of the excess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I have a kitchenaid but I never use it because it seems so hard to get out, clean, and put away. Maybe I should just put it on my counter. I love the idea of blending veggies with avocado and using it as a dip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a huge veggie lover. The only one my body can't tolerate is raw onions. I haven't yet gotten into blending them like that. When I do, I will have to try my in eggs as you suggested.

    I do blend cooked veggies in soups but using raw would be a bit different. That said, I do see many uses for these ideas, in particular my soup recipes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a vegetable juicer, but i like raw vegetables :) It works great for my sister in law though. Thanks for linking up at the homeacre blog hop. Be sure to stop by PintSizeFarm.com to link another post up this week (thursday)!

    ReplyDelete