Thursday, July 25, 2013

Homemade Pot Pie

My boys love pot pies, and it has been one food we have not been able to replace with a premade real food version. So, I have started making my own. First I found I recipe here for the crust, and replaced all the ingredients with real food. It is a very simple recipe using only a few ingredients.

  • 2 cups wheat free/gluten free Bob's Red Mill all purpose baking flour
  • 1 tsp of Nature's Finest Sea Salt
  • 1 cup chilled Nature's Valley salted butter
  • 1/2 cup of filtered water

Put the flour and salt in the bowl, and slice up the butter, all I have are my hands and fingers to work the butter in so that is what I used. Mix that up real good until it is similar to cornmeal. Then add the water and mix again, put into the fridge for at least a half hour.

Now you are ready to make your crust separate the dough, so you have some for the top and bottom. I noticed that when I went to use the second half it was sticker than the first half. Next time I will put it in the fridge until I need it. I have found that you need to cover the surface of your work place very good with flour before you start rolling it out or it will stick big time. You also need to make sure through out the rolling process to constantly put flour on the rolling pin or again it will stick.

Even though I have done the above I still had sticking problems. I landed up having to piece together, which is not bad for the bottom, the dough. The top did not look real pretty due to this, but I am still working on perfecting it.


The day before I cooked  one of the ham roasts from our pig in the crock pot and left the broth in it on warm until the next day. I then added my veggies, corn, green beans, carrots, and potatoes all real food. While that was cooking I cut up the pork and then added it. I added flour to it slowly until I had the thickness I wanted. I noticed this flour needs to be shifted, well my shifter was nasty so I threw it away, but I'll need to get a new one asap. I tasted it as I went along to make sure it was seasoned well enough. No measuring here just adding and tasting using pepper, salt, all purpose seasoning, garlic, and Italian  seasoning. I have been slowly changing all my seasonings to organic and really like the Simply Organic brand.


 Sorry, but those are all the photos I took. The boys dug in so fast I didn't have time to take a picture of the finished product. Up point I have enough filling for another pot pie which to their delight I will be making tomorrow. They wish it was today, oh well just have to wait.

That's how we do our real food pot pie.


1 comment: